Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter Braid Bread


My mother always made this Easter Braid bread when we were kids, and I decided to bake some this year to share with neighbors and delight my boys!

The recipe is pretty easy...

2 c. scalded milk
1/2 c. butter
2 Tsp. yeast (or 2 packages)
1/2 c. lukewarm water
1 c. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. mashed potatoes (soak 1/2 c instant flakes by filling cup with boiling water)
7 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
4 oz maraschino cherries

And then a cream cheese glaze.

So, here is what you do...
Add yeast to the water (if you have rapid rise yeast, you can forego this step and just add the yeast). In a saucepan, put your milk and butter and melt on low heat. Remove from heat when butter is melted. Meanwhile, add salt, sugar, potatoes and eggs to the yeast and mix in your mixer. Then add the milk/butter mixture. Make sure it is not too hot so it won't kill the yeast. Then I add the chopped cherries. Then add 3 cups flour, and beat. Gradually add the remaining flour. Do not knead. I usually spray Pam into a large mixing bowl, and then put the dough in it. I cover it  with a towel and let it rise for 1-2 hours on the warm stove top. When doubled, I divide it into two portions, and then I cut each portion into 6 pieces. I roll them out into rope like pieces between my hands. I then braid three of the pieces together. I repeat the process, making 4 braided loves. I then let it rise again another 45 minutes.  Adding the eggs is optional. I think it makes the bread look festive and it is super easy. I took uncooked eggs, and put them in a small bowl with water and food coloring to tint them lightly. My sons helped and made a couple of them look tie died. Then I placed them on the bread. Then bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. The eggs will cook while the bread bakes, and are edible.

While the bread is still warm, I make a cream cheese glaze. It is 4 oz cream cheese, softened, 2 cups powdered sugar, 3-5 Tsp. milk, and 1 tsp. almond extract (you could use vanilla too, but I prefer almond.) I also add a bit of the maraschino cherry juice to give it the pink color. Mix that all up, and spread onto the warm bread. Then I added sprinkles! It makes 4 loaves...so plenty to share with neighbors and friends!

Yummy bread that reminds me of my mom, Easter, and family! By the way, you can use this basic recipe, minus the cherries, and use the dough to make cinnamon rolls too, or orange rolls. It is moist and delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment