Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fathers

Fathers are an amazing influence in a child's life. My father, Wayne L. Winert, has such a beautiful life story. Born at the start of World War II, he has seen the world change and grow so much in his lifetime. He was the oldest child, and only son of his parents. He grew up in upstate NY, and has lived most of his life there. He married my mom when he was still young...not quite 20 years old, and they have a marriage that is already 54 years long. He and my mom have 25 children, and continue at home to care for 9 children, who are adults by chronological age, but children, mentally. 

My father is an example of unconditional love. I have too many stories to share regarding my father, but here is just one...

When I was 8 years old, my father signed up to be my soccer coach. I was so excited! On the day of my first scrimmage, I broke my arm, and I was unable to play in the first 8 games of the season. It was somewhat devastating to have to be on the sidelines when my dad was coaching. Yet, I was able to see firsthand how much he encouraged and cared for the other players on my team! He built us each up, with encouraging words, and patient directions. Finally, the 9th game came, and my cast was off. It would be the only game I would play that season, as we were leaving for a family vacation out West the next week. I generally played in the fullback position. But my dad gave me the opportunity to play Front Left Wing for one quarter. Somehow, I was able to connect and put the soccer ball in the goal. I remember my dad running out to me and lifting me up in his arms, hugging me so tight. Then immediately when he put me down he said, "Now let's get that shoelace of yours tied!" and he bent down and tied my cleat. I don't think we won that game. But I still remember that feeling of my dad being my #1 cheerleader and being wrapped in the arms of his love!

I love my father so very much! I am so grateful that I am one that has the privilege of calling him "dad"!

Have a wonderful day, dad!

love,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment